Thursday, March 15, 2012

Quilting Comfort


On a trip into town today I had a sudden urge to stop and look at the quilts.  The fabric store, Island Quilter, used to be across the street, but has taken over the old furniture store building.  It was here that I met Christine Millican, the president of the Vashon Island Quilt Guild. 

I was able to chat with her about the Vashon Island Quilt Guild.  She says that they are a group of quilters from both islands: Vashon and Maury.  (She’s quick to admonish herself by saying that the title of the guild should include Maury Island.  She is a resident of Maury Island.  For any off-islanders who may be reading, Vashon and Maury islands are connected by an isthmus.)  She told me that the group gets together one the third Tuesday of every month at the Presbyterian Church.  Visitors are welcome; they are a group of mixed skill levels.  They use the ample floor space in the new shop to present their work in monthly shows.  This show, Christine had the quilters bring in their favorite pieces and the multitude of colors and styles dazzled. 

The quilters also quilt for worthy causes.  They are involved in the American Heroes Quilts.  Their members donate pieces to cancer patients of Fred Hutchinson’s Cancer Research Center.  And I have to say that the notion that women and men in my own community working to reach out to those that need it fills my heart with a warm, happy feeling. 


The quilts themselves make me feel warm and happy, as they are a mash up of old-school and more modern styles; of spiced colors, cool colors, and bold bright colors; and of different points of view: bohemian, traditional, eclectic, and modern.  I enjoyed looking at them very much and would encourage anyone who can to do so as well. 

It makes me wish I were a quilter.  But while I may have a willing mind, my body and skill level soon have me punished for ever thinking I could sew, although, I tackled the project of the Laura Ingalls Wilder sunbonnets.  Maybe I should give quilting another shot one of these days.  After all, with all this inspiration, it would be hard to decide I could never do it before I even tried. 

No comments:

Post a Comment