Thursday, April 14, 2011

Roberta Sanchez

Judy, who is nothing if not a realistic-thinker, suggested that we do not try to make clothing for full-grown people when we decided to produce our own “Project Runway.”  Her suggestion: Barbie Dolls, not Bratz, not Polly Pocket, but Barbies.  In fact, she insisted we make it a rule of our “Project Runway,” Barbies were necessary.  It was because of this, my friends and I were suddenly thrown into finding the “Perfect Model.”  And it was because of this I found Roberta Sanchez. 


Joseph took me to a Kmart in northern Seattle off of Hwy 99 (Aurora Avenue).  Here we looked at Barbie Dolls.  Joseph knew I was partial to red heads.  In fact, most photos from our life together show me trying to rock a redheaded look myself.  The Barbie selection was a little sparse, but Joseph zeroed in on the only redhead in the store.  Her packaging was all in Spanish and I had to check that it was, in fact, a Barbie Doll, because I’ve never seen a Barbie with Spanish packaging. 


Apparently there is a wonderful Mexican telenova (soap opera) based on an Argentinean called “Rebelde” which means rebellious.   Mattel was only too ready to make a Barbie version of the cast of characters and the doll in the package I had before me was in the likeness of Roberta Pardo Rey, one of the main characters who sported dyed red hair.  I renamed her Roberta Sanchez, and a star was born! 


Roberta has a sordid past.




Roberta is a bad girl.


Roberta has a reputation.


Roberta will cut a b****.


Roberta is beautiful.  She became my muse and helped me to win the competition, even though Judy was breathing down our necks and only missed beating us by a point or two.  She has certainly developed her own persona, and negotiated it into having a Myspace page and a Facebook page.  In her hay day of Myspace-ing, Roberta received friend requests from total strangers and even had an offer from a budding new photographer to pose for some pictures he was taking.  He may have been one of those blind photographers.  And Roberta may cut me for saying that.  I am still asked about her in the circle of friends.  Roberta Sanchez is alive and well! 

No comments:

Post a Comment