Friday, June 10, 2011

Welcome to the Jungle


There are no fun and games.  The garden is much worse off than I had originally thought.  It seems a year of letting it go wild had produced hardened soil, beat down with grass roots.  At the moment, I have a bad back and the job I see before me is a back-breaking one.  Half of the garden is still covered in growing grasses, too.  I’m not sure what I am going to be able to do with this.  And it is the tenth of June, which means I only have a limited amount of time before I have to get seeds in the ground or else I should scrap the whole project. 

I had planned on buying already-started tomato plants, zucchini plants, and possibly some sunflowers (which are a favorite).  The seeds were going to be for beans (both green and spotted beans for drying), parsnips, peas, and radishes.  But the very walls of my raised beds are rotting, and just hitting them with a rake is knocking them down.  It seems that those rotting boards were also home to wildlife such as a garter snake that did not want to hold still for a photo shoot. 


I really want this project to succeed, because even though I am a lazy gardener, I love gardening.  I love the process of growing my own food.  I love cooking it and canning it and serving it to friends and family.  I just doubt that I have the energy to make this happen. 

Well, no hasty decisions need to be made just yet.  I still have a week before my next days off which will force me to make decisions about what to do with my crumbling mess.  Dirty gloves and garden tools aside, at least I got the basil planted!  Now I just have to find Joseph’s mozzarella plant. 

No comments:

Post a Comment