Friday, March 1, 2013

A Wedding to Aspire to



On August 25, 1885, Laura Elizabeth Ingalls married Almanzo “Manly” Wilder.  She wore a black dress she had already been making with her mother before Almanzo proposed.  The couple took a trip into De Smet, South Dakota, and were wed in a small ceremony held in the parlor of their local pastor.  Upon returning to Laura’s parent’s house, they were treated to a homemade chicken dinner, and Charles Ingalls, Laura’s father, gifted the couple with a milk cow. 

That’s the wedding I want.  I want it to be sweet, homemade, and very, very simple.  With a guest list of fifty-ish people, I suppose I should be slightly more grand than a dinner and a wagon ride home with a milk cow in tow.  But the simplicity of Laura and Manly’s wedding is something I must remember and aspire to when I feel things are getting too complicated. 

And besides, I need an excuse to wear my sunbonnet!  

No comments:

Post a Comment