Friday, November 30, 2012

Wedding Colors

A quick trip to my kitchen will tell you that I love every color in the rainbow.

Though I was very committed to a single favorite color as a child, pink, I have since developed a deep enthusiasm for color of every hue.  How, then, could I possibly pick a color theme for my wedding?  Well, because Joseph told me to. 

Joseph did, however, put the kybosh on my idea of a rainbow themed wedding.  He thought it was too gay.  I have no idea what he is talking about.  My friends—Angela, Cher, and Judy—all thought it was a great idea. 

My second big idea was based on a color I have long loved.  Robin’s egg blue was always in my list of favorites.  It reminds me of the sky, the sea, and finding robin’s nests with my Gram as a kid.  That was good enough for Joseph, he locked that in right away as the best color idea I have ever had.  Since I was wearing a sky blue shirt when we met, he has always associated light blues with me.  He especially loves the robin’s egg shades that he finds in blue topaz, a jewel he loves to buy for me. 
He wanted topaz blue on white and that was it.  No color schemes.  No color family.  Just greenish-blue on white.  Done. 
And then Angela voiced what I was thinking.  “That will look a little wintery,” she said.  So I went back to the drawing board.  You see, I can’t just leave well enough alone.  When I wrap presents, I REALLY wrap them with color, pizzazz, and a whole lot of amenities like ribbons and bows! 
And there was the season to consider.  We are getting married next fall.  This means I could use one of my favorite trees for inspiration and base my colors as a complementary display of rowanberry reds. 

We were also getting married in October, the month we shared our first date in all those years ago.  Shouldn’t I give a nod towards the traditional October color schemes that involve pumpkins and spices? 

And of course, for those of you who read this blog on a regular basis, I made a comparison from my favorite childhood toy (which I wasn’t allowed to have) and the right to choose my mate regardless of my gender.  This toy was Peaches n’ Cream Barbie, and wouldn’t a Peaches n’ Cream color palette look amazing in fall for a wedding? 

And then the ideas all began to be too much.  If I had one color family, maybe I could work in another color.  The muddy, messy compilation was starting to look less like a rainbow and more like a patchouli scented tie-dye project.  I had to clear my mind, clear my ideas, and come up with the colors that would best express Joseph and me. 

And that’s when I knew I had to use robin’s egg blue.  It was Joseph’s favorite, and it was his favorite because it reminded him of me.  So, I started to look at how robin’s egg blue looked with white.  I decided that I would use a color palette of browns: chocolate, cappuccino, and ivory.  These colors look warm, romantic, and very autumnal.  But I would punch up the browns with robin’s egg blue, a color I now realize is a signature color of my life with Joseph.  From the shirt I was wearing when I first met Joseph, to the color we painted our old dining room, to the jewelry Joseph picks out for me; robin’s egg blue has been there through it all. 

This color is all about our life together.  And shouldn’t the color scheme you choose represent you?  I think so … but I will probably have to throw a kicking rainbow schemed party one of these days!

1 comment: