Monday, November 19, 2012

Rope Rigging: a Christmas Tradition


We put our Christmas lights up outside on the porch today.  Joseph had to rent a ladder from the Home Depot because ours wasn’t quite tall enough.  He had his staple gun out, and I had to help him reach for things and hold the ladder while he climbed.  Though Joseph has a massive fear of heights, he wouldn't allow me to climb the ladder.  He has a fear of me breaking my neck (a very real possibility, maybe even a certainty).  Inspite of his fear, Joseph insisted he was the one to climb the ladder, and it was high! 
 
     So out he comes from the garage, through the house, and onto the front porch while I was waiting for him in the front yard.  He had an old rope he’s had since I can’t remember.  He starts wrapping it around himself, under his arms, then through his legs and back up to his arms.  I am not going to lie, it looked a little ridiculous.  It looked a lot like Chevy Chase in “Christmas Vacation.”  But the only thing that kept me from laughing out loud was the fact that he was utterly serious about it.  I may be spilling a Frank and Joseph family secret by writing about this daring do and rope trick, but I have to!  Joseph was a little skeptical of the couple of pictures I snapped of him, but I mumbled something about “before and after shots.”  I hope he bought it. 
            The rope came off very quickly because it was more cumbersome than it was intended to be.  I will have to post a picture of the lights, but I want to wait on the Christmas stuff until after Thanksgiving. 

No comments:

Post a Comment