Sunday, October 7, 2012

Yard Sale Blog!


So, Joseph and I are throwing the 2012 Barbie Project Runway challenge at our house, which will be no small undertaking.  We will not only be hosting tried and true designers from Vashon Island, but we will also have a slew of new designers bringing their ideas to life on the runway (which is usually my coffee table). 

Joseph and I love to entertain, and we love to do it right.  We always have a signature drink to match the event, and since this 2012 Challenge is to Create a Modern Look based of Peaches n’ Cream Barbie, we are going to have Fuzzy Navels with their peach schnapps flavor filling the cups at my house. 

However, this is also the year that Joseph decided to budget our spending so we can actually be adults.  (Lame.)  He has us budgeted very tightly through January.  And the BPR 2012 party somehow missed being budgeted for, even though it has been on our calendar weeks before Joseph pulled out his big, ol’ calculator. 

 

Joseph then gave me the ultimatum: we can’t have the party unless we have a yard sale to pay for the party.  This was devious.  He knows I love Barbies, but he also knows I love hoarding junk.  Which would win out?  Well, let me answer that question with another question: can you get drunk by drinking hoarded items with your friends?  Nope.  Time for the yard sale!

Both Joseph and I combed through our actual junk (like all those Tupperware lids that were missing their containers) and our treasures we never use (like the bikes we bought right before Joseph’s back went out the second time).  We pulled all these things into the front yard and sold our hearts out!

Joseph made a few signs and gave me the sidewalk chalk and told me to get to work, and I did. 
 

I think one of the best surprises for me was that a yard sale brings your neighborhood to you.  I was able to meet all sorts of neighbors I didn’t know before.  And some “old” favorites dropped by to look over our wares.  Joseph called it a “moving sale” to get more excitement into our signs, and this confused a few of our neighbors, and angered some hardcore moving sale enthusiasts.  They didn’t like the explanation that it was a moving IN sale. 
 

My old collection of coffee pots sold out.  But my wrought iron candelabras didn’t go anywhere.  The bikes were the first things out the door, and my collection of mirrors was pretty popular.  We worked from 7 in the morning until 5 in the evening and when all was said and done we made $251.  And my super cool Dragon Mask found a new home with my neighbors.  (Sorry Nita!)
 

Hooray!  Now we can hire Peaches n’ Cream strippers for the party!  But, no, Joseph said we’re only buying the booze and the rest goes into savings.  Sometimes being an adult isn’t very cool.  But we have money for alcohol, and we’ll have drama with Barbie dresses.  The party will make itself awesome after that.  October 19th is right around the corner! 

No comments:

Post a Comment