Monday, September 24, 2012

Existential Laziness


So I just came across a very lovely picture of a deciduous tree all lit up in a field of snow and I know that it was the very tree that graced the cover of Living, Martha Stewart’s impeccable magazine.  It is all white lights with big white star lanterns hung in strategically casual places.  It is glowing.  It is wonderful.  It is beautiful.  And I hate it almost as much as I hate stepping in poo. 

                Without a doubt, last year’s Christmas tree was a flop.  It never quite felt like Christmas at my house and I strongly suspect that is because of my choice in trees.  This picture was came along after I started my decorating process and made everything I was trying to do look like crap.  This year I will be back to the old drawing board.  And why not?  This is a new Christmas, and it’s our first Christmas renting a new house in Tacoma … our first Christmas in Tacoma!

                But what is this Christmas going to be?  Joseph and I have been straying away from our normal “make all the gifts and even if they’re crappy they still mean more than something from Nordstrom’s” mentality.  We aren’t made of money (duh, we’re in the bottom ninety-nine percent in this country).  But I have very little love in me for knitting, or sewing, or canning jams, or any of those crafts that used to contribute to the bulk of our gift-giving.  Joseph mentioned yesterday that he felt like knitting more rugs for this year, but I think that just might be the cold weather giving him a burst of energy. 

                And that got me thinking, too.  I’ve identified myself so much with trying to be a would-be crafter, I haven’t really thought of what I might be if I’m not a knitter or a canner.  Maybe I’m just lazy. 

                Well!  The television isn’t going to watch itself!

No comments:

Post a Comment