Sunday, September 11, 2011

Barbie Project Runway 2011 challenge



This challenge was to create a look based on a fairytale.  Four of us took on the challenge: myself and my friends Jackie, Angela, and Judy. 

My look was based on the Little Mermaid.  At first I researched the latest trends of fall and came up with a design based on a skirt with a high slit and a cream colored top.  The textile I bought for the skirt had a scale pattern that reminded me of a golden coy fish in the ponds at Volunteer Park in Seattle.  But it came down to time, so I utilized the skirt material to make a mermaid dress.  Feathers were added to the train to create drama and to the hair for the “total look.” 
Angela’s look was based on Little Red Riding Hood.  Her look was the only one that utilized pants and a top.  The faux fur trim was reminiscent of the Big Bad Wolf.  And her cloak was draped in a modern way with  rich sequins creating drama. 
Judy’s look was inspired by Cinderella.  Using layers of tulle, Judy created a depth in blues.  Judy as a designer is meticulous and often utilizes small, intricate details.  True to her aesthetic, Judy applied rhinestones to the shoes to give the impression of glass slippers. 
Jackie created a look for a Lady of the Lake from an Irish folktale.  She layered aqua-greens together and draped them in such a way as to make the onlooker see flowing water.  Jackie also utilized copper wire to craft a crown of spirals for her model.

The votes were cast and Angela’s Red Hooded look was the winner of this challenge.  My look was out, as I was the only designer to receive zero votes.  I’ll have to step up my A-game for the up and coming, double-or-nothing Halloween challenge.  Stay tuned! 


No comments:

Post a Comment